Questions you may have about Volunteering
Q: What is a Volunteer?
A: Volunteers are people who use their time, and talents to help out in the community. They are people who want to give, grow, and tackle new challenges and expand their social circle.
Q: What can I do?
A: Almost anything. Use the skills you already have or develop new skills. Some examples of volunteer opportunities are public relations, interpreting, tutoring, computers, sports and recreation to name only a few.
Q: How much time does it take?
A: As much or as little as your schedule permits. Volunteer opportunities are available during the day, evening and on weekends. Daily, weekly or monthly.
Remember, from the time you begin your search to the time you are actively volunteering, COULD TAKE SIX WEEKS.
Q: What’s in it for me?
A: Any experienced volunteer will tell you there is no feeling like the one you get from helping others. You will meet new people, make new friends, and expand your network of invaluable contacts. Great for the resume. Volunteering is a WIN-WIN experience. Read here Benefits of Volunteering.
Questions you may be asked as a prospective volunteer
- How did you hear about this volunteer opportunity?
- Why do you want to volunteer with this organization?
- Have you given your time previously as a volunteer?
- What skills or benefits would you like to gain from volunteering with organization name?
- What skills, abilities and qualities do you have to contribute to the organization?
- What are you interests?
- How long do you think you would like to be involved with our program?
- Are you prepared to attend training and or information sessions?
- Are you prepared to undergo screening and/or background police check for our safety, your safety, and our client’s safety?
Questions YOU may want to ask
- What is the organization’s mission
- What volunteer work will I be doing?
- May I see a written job description for my volunteer work?
- What is the required time commitment of the volunteer position?
- What skills will I be able to develop?
- Is there a trial period? How long?
- Who will I be reporting to?
- Will I be working with other volunteers?
- Does the volunteer position require any background checks?
- Is there orientation and training provided?