Title: Community Companion Volunteer
I. Establish a friendly relationship with an adults with multiple disabilities
II. Explore the community to encourage independence.
III. Provide support during community activities
1. Spend 2 hours per week doing any activity you and your peer/friend choose; seek pre-approval from peer/friend’s case manager.
2. Support and encourage your peer/friend in performing activities in collaboration with other providers.
3. Provide ongoing communication to case manager and other team members
4. Terminate relationship with peer/friend when you can no longer volunteer
1.Transportation (by personal car or bus) is necessary.
2.No experience with developmental disabilities or mental illness is required.
1. Attend training session given by the Area MH-DD-SA
2. On-going support is provided by Case Managers, Volunteer Task Force and residential staff.
3. A background check is required, this will include a drug screening, criminal check and a DMV check. Volunteer can not begin working until all information has been received and approved by the area program.
1. 2 hours per week is required, additional time is at your discretion.
2. Plan your schedule in conjunction with case manager and peer/friend.
3. Explore or attend events in your community or at places you and your peer/friend want to attend.
Length of Commitment:
6 months is required.
1. On-going support is tailored to each volunteer’s needs