40 Hours – Student Volunteering.
The Ontario Ministry of Education requires that each student complete 40 hours of volunteer activities in the community in order to earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Students can begin accumulating these hours as of July 1 after they finish grade 8.
We can help you find volunteer opportunities that are right for you! Visit Volunteer Now! in the main menu and search Youth Volunteering to start giving back to your community.
What is Student Community Involvement?
- A requirement for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- A volunteer activity – not for pay or credit
- A constructive contribution to the community
Why has the Ontario Ministry of Education mandated it?
- Reinforces civic responsibility
- Strengthens the community
- Enhances the students’ self-confidence and self-image
- Offers networking for future employment
- Provides an experience for students to include in their portfolios
When must students complete it?
- Any time during the secondary school program
- Outside class hours, for example: during lunch breaks, in the evening, on weekends, during school breaks, during the summer months.