Student Community Involvement Hours
Ministry of Education changed two of the requirements for students graduating in the 2021-2022 school year, the graduation requirement was reduced to a minimum of 20 hours of community involvement activities.
The community involvement graduation requirement of 40 hours will be restored in 2022-23. This recognizes that graduating students have had barriers to earning their community involvement hours last school year and there may be continued barriers this school year.
- Must complete a minimum of 20 hours of community involvement (reduced from 40 hours)
- Are not required to complete the literacy graduation requirement
- Students can start accumulating their required community involvement hours in the summer before entering Grade 9.
More information https://www.ontario.ca/page/high-school-graduation-requirements
Students working towards their OSSD should make sure they meet these graduation requirements in time for their graduating year.
We can help you find volunteer opportunities that are right for you! Visit Volunteer Now! in the main menu and search Youth Volunteering to start giving back to your community.
In addition, the Ministry of Education is providing increased flexibility in how all secondary students can earn hours in 2021-22, at the Principal’s discretion schools may allow students:
- to earn hours during the time allotted for the instructional program on a school day;
- to earn hours through duties normally performed in the home; and
- to count up to a maximum of 10 hours from paid employment towards their earned hours (age 14 years and older). Students counting paid employment towards their graduation requirement will be required to complete a reflection exercise indicating how their work contributed to the service for others (sample reflection form, your school may have a specific form to complete).
- Read more
Learn more about Community Involvement Eligible and Ineligible activities. Download the volunteer hours tracking sheet and start earning community involvement hours.