Students will have to complete a mandatory 40 hours of civic engagement in order to obtain the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD).
We can help you find volunteer gigs that are right for you.
- Access Volunteer Now!
- Select Volunteer Halton
- Select Age Requirements
- Click Apply to start the search
- Click on a volunteer gig you are interested in to read details
- On the bottom of the volunteer gig description click Apply. You must have an account to do that. Don’t have one? It’s free!
- Sign up! gigitmarketplace.com/register
Students may start accumulating community involvement hours in the summer before they enter Grade 9.
Learn more about Community Involvement Eligible and Ineligible activities. Download the volunteer hours tracking sheet and start earning community involvement hours.
What is Community Involvement?
- A requirement for an Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- A volunteer activity – not for pay or credit
- A constructive contribution to the community
Why has the Ministry of Education mandated it?
- Reinforces civic responsibility
- Strengthens the community
- Enhances the students’ self-confidence and self-image
- Offers networking for future employment
- Provides an experience for students to include in their portfolios
When must students complete it?
- Any time during the secondary school program
- Outside class hours, for example: during lunch breaks, in the evening, on weekends, during school breaks, during the summer months.