A Volunteer is someone who chooses to act of their own free will in recognition of a need, with an attitude of social responsibility and without concern for monetary profit. Not everything done by volunteers is labelled as volunteering. In a school, it might be called community service, community involvement or an internship. In professional society, it may be referred to as pro bono. In the streets, it is called neighbourliness or civic engagement. At church, it is referred to as lay ministry. In a group of peers, it may be self-help and in a protest, it would be called activism.
Would you like to get involved to provide a needed service, solve a problem, advance a worthy cause, or you are looking for personal development?
Perhaps you would like to make contacts, learn skills, gain work experience, build self-esteem, or find a paying job? If so, this is how to start on your path:
– Ask yourself “What do I want or expect from a volunteering experience?” and “How much am I willing to give of myself?”
– Talk to family, friends, co-workers and acquaintances about their experiences and suggestions
Find a matching volunteer opportunity
We provide a “catalogue” of volunteer positions. Our volunteer centre offers referrals and an online database of volunteer opportunities to receive information about current volunteering opportunities in Halton.
Steps to volunteering
1. Search our online database to see what is available in the community.
2. Once a position is chosen, click on the Position Title to read the details
3. In the detailed ad, to send in your interest and apply online, click on located on the top of the ad.
4. Wait 2-3 days to be contacted then follow up with the agency to set up an appointment
3. Be prepared for interview and sample questions
4. Find out what you can about the position and ask additional questions about the position
5. Let the coordinator know why you want to volunteer
6. Fill out their registration form, provide two character references and be willing to undergo a Police Check
7. Participate in relevant orientation and training
8. Participate in evaluation